Monday, March 15, 2010

I complete six years in my current firm…

Today I complete six years in my current firm. I was a part of the three-member team that rolled up the shutters of my current firm’s India office on 15 March 2004. I still remember the first few days at work that were spent figuring out vendors to rent out desk computers, phone lines, coffee machine, and office furniture. My wife and I shopped for the office refrigerator, kitchen cutlery, dish-washer, and microwave oven!! Our work area was tiny, the library (a small cabin with a round table and four chairs around it) served as a make-shift lunch room, and the server room doubled as storeroom for office supplies. The office outing was rarely more than just driving to a local coffee shop on a sunny afternoon, or an evening snack at our country head’s place. Those were fun days! Over the past six years, I have survived four offices, 14 bosses, and a zillion kms in daily commute...

Alas, the other two founding members (I like to call us that..) are not with the company anymore, and the current folks have no reason to remember 15 March as a special date, so I celebrated my sixth anniversary at my current company with a quiet coffee at the local Costa joint. Since my prior four work stints were for two years (or less) each, this was quite a feat. As I sipped coffee, seated at a corner table at Costa this morning, I tried to evaluate the emotions and feelings that were flowing through me. These ranged from “oh man! It has been six years….am I the only budha chowkidar (old care taker) hanging around….” to “wow, though I have seen ups and downs in my tenure here, it has been quite an eventful journey…..” to “how would it feel to step back to 2004, and walk a few steps with the original team – maybe relive a few moments from the past…” and so on…

Well, it has been an interesting journey to say the least, with ups and downs (as in life…). Hope it stays this way in future as well…

No comments: