Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Hectic Last few Weeks, Happy School Website, Move to Ahmedabad, etc.…

I am looking forward to my one year at the IIM Ahmedabad starting next week being a part of the PGPX-III batch. Spent the last few days winding up a project for The Happy school (read below), switching cellphone plans, getting bank drafts made for the institute, paying up pending credit card bills and insurance checks, doing some last minute shopping, reading prep material, getting my guitar repaired, and a zillion other things.

Though I got goodbyes from all friends and family, the sweetest were those from The Happy School kids. This is a school in Gurgaon run for underprivileged kids. My wife and I have been teaching music to the kids on Saturdays for the past two-and-a-half years. Though the kids were genuinely “sad” to know that there will be no music classes for the next one year, they gave me a really warm (and loud; imagine 300+ kids shouting “bye sir”) goodbye. My parting gift to the Happy School was the Web site that I put together for the school in the last few days. Check it out (especially the faculty page…): The Happy School



Tomorrow I start the 14 hour road drive to Ahmedabad. Though I am looking forward to spending one year at the Mecca of management education, new experiences, and meeting new people, am a bit nervous too - I have been away from academics for a decade now.

I am hoping I will have enough time to write this blog as I get sucked into the IIM Ahmedabad rigor (have read some horror stories on blogs of some outgoing students) starting next Sunday. Yes Sunday! I am sure that is a message load and clear of what we can expect for the next one year.

Anyways, here I come Ahmedabad!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I am Krithika doing my MBA in Bangalore. I also taught in Happy School and I totally second your views about the school and the kids there. I was totally moved by the affection that they showered on me. I just wish I had had more time to spend with those kids.

Delo said...

Thank you,Sunil for the website.Am a teacher here,in this genuinely happy place.We need lots of people like you for our kids.