Monday, December 8, 2008

Management lessons from my six-week old son!!

We were recently blessed with a lovely and handsome boy with bright eyes and a smile to die for! Though we have had our share of sleepless nights and constant nervousness about the slightest indication of our baby’s discomfort, overall the parenting experience has been really great! Here are some lessons that my six week old has taught me; lessons that I can take back to my workplace. I secretly feel that the fact that he was born in IIM-A (close to the campus) makes him a “smart manager” right from his day-one!

Lessons 1: Change is good. Status-quo can make you “wet and soggy” and uncomfortable. And, whenever you aspire for change, shout out loud.

Lesson 2: When you want to say something, say it boldly. Otherwise people may not take you seriously. Have you ever heard a little baby whispering when he/she is hungry?

Lesson 3: Charm people around you to get things done. My six-week old exactly knows when and how much to smile and “coo” to make me and my wife go ga-ga.

Lesson 4: Time-bound and fixed schedule kills creativity and innovation. Throw the time piece and alarm clocks out of the window and live life on your own terms if you want to be creative and if you want to maximize learning.

Lesson 5: Delegate effectively and make people around you work efficiently. Ever seen a little baby make his own bed or dress himself up?

Lesson 6: Be patient, because that is the only way to endure tough times. This is something that parents learn through dealing with their little baby. When a baby cries, there is very little parents can do to cool him down other than being patient. No tactics, no smart-strategy, no amount of negotiation or temper will help at that point.

Lesson 7: Stay hungry, stay foolish. Staying hungry for knowledge and having no ego in being naïve about things can lead to rapid learning and professional progress.

These are some management “mantras” that my son has taught me in six weeks! Well, I will add on to this list as I get more “gyan” from my “smart manager.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Krishnav is truly adorable! He lives what he teaches which makes it all the more real and effective. If you continue to so learn from him, the plot for your dream book may actually be right here. - Shivani

Rahul said...

Just like Krishnav, almost every living-being has some management lesson to impart. It is, of course, dependent on a wise man like yourself on how you interpret the lesson. Thanks for putting these lessons in words for rest of us.

Congratulations again!! and cherish the moments with Krishnav for you will always have some story to tell.