Thursday, April 15, 2010

One year of back-to-work…

It has been over an year since I came back from my study sabbatical and started to work again. And the going has been great to date! I often wonder what has my (supposedly) celebrated MBA degree from the mecca of management education given me. Here goes...

Better skills (hopefully). The study sabbatical has certainly given me better understanding of economics, finance, marketing, operations, management, and accounting. It comes handy when having a conversation with a client with very different background – at least I am not left wondering whether he is talking stuff from outer space! The MBA has also polished my "soft skills " of leadership, teamwork, ethics, and communication that are so critical for effective management (Boss, hope you agree!).

More people to lean on! The degree has given me access to a network of ex-peers, other alumni, faculty, etc. This network will hopefully help me if I am ever on the cross-roads of career progression, or at some point building business relationships, or pursuing expertise outside of my current field.

A more “weighty” CV! The MBA degree is supposedly a recognized brand that signifies management and leadership training. The particular school (in my case IIM-A) also has brand associations that can help open doors based on the school's reputation. I have not had the opportunity to test the “weightiness” of the brand (thank god and my current employer for that!), but I am hoping it is true.

No comments: