Sunday, December 30, 2007

I Think Birthdays are Just Overrated…

Today is my birthday (sigh); yet another year gone by!

Though my birthday falls between Christmas and the New Year, which is undoubtedly the most festive week of the year, for me it is certainly not the most exciting day. Well I’ve not been a huge fan of the birthday tradition for a long time now and I’m sure it is an age thing. I somehow do not like the pace at which time flies and I guess birthdays are a harsh reminder of that. Yes, I do momentarily feel happy when family and friends send their wishes or better yet, when someone I least expect wishes me. But somehow I do not like the focus being on me for the full day (without any particular reason!). I liked it when I was younger (mainly pre-teens; I guess it was more about birthday presents then) and in my teens when birthday was more about a movie (and an evening out) with friends, but now I am beginning to get convinced that birthdays are plain and simple overrated. It is just another day – right? (Well most around me unfortunately tend to disagree!!)

Today, like every year on the 30th, started with my family wishing me and a few friends calling up (some quite unexpected), followed by a family lunch (a lot of brouhaha about me adding another year to my age!), and a quiet evening. And, I intend to spend a few minutes introspecting (and listing down my resolutions; yes I still do that…) before retiring for the day (after I finish writing this blog entry).

Well if I try to list things that I accomplished during the last one year, I cannot think of many (what was I doing for 365 days I ask myself yet again) – had an average career run, did not improve my guitar playing skills too much, did not travel much (as much as my wife would have liked!), and did not acquire any major asset worth mentioning. I did take an important decision this year though. After several months of evaluating the pros and cons, I finally decided to take a one year sabbatical starting sometime in 2008. I also shed a few kilos, started maintaining a blog site, made a few more friends, and am working towards developing my first web site. Also I think I was generally happier and more contented (about everything) during the past one year than before (but I suspect it is again an age thing).

I am hoping next year I will have a longer list of accomplishments. Maybe (even) more happiness, maybe newer experiences, maybe more vacations, maybe a steeper career trajectory, maybe new and finer guitar skills, maybe more friends, may be…..

Anyways for another few minutes (till the day ends) it is Happy Birthday to me (and Tiger Woods; yes, it is his birthday too!)

2 comments:

Maverick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maverick said...

Many Happy Returns of the day, Sunil! (Belated)

I am no great fan of birthday's either. A sumptuous dine-out does it for me; more as an excuse to eat-out (yes, a foodie!) than celebration.

Have a GR8 '08!
(I deleted the last comment owing to typos)