Monday, December 17, 2007

My Quest for the Most Modern Music Machine!

Most of my late evening surfing hours for the past few weeks have been spent comparing iPod models and looking for the cheapest deal in the city, and trust me, each time I get closer to making the payment, I am nervous about the product category I am going to buy. I am not the most indulging and impulsive of buyers, so the selection is all the more difficult.

When I started my “quest” for the most modern music machine a few weeks back, I thought what is the deal with so many versions of the iPod being launched? They all serve the same purpose don’t they? People use the iPod to listen to music (or watch videos) right? So what is all this brouhaha about iPod Classic versus iPod Nano? While my practical self (and alas! all the work experience in the technology terrain) tells me that I should go in for the 80 GB/160 GB classic model as it gives me more storage per rupee spent, my gut feel says that I should go in for a 4 GB Nano model as it is much more compact.

Here are my-two-cents on the two models:
Video-ability -- While iPod Classic has a 2.5-inch display screen which makes watching videos so much fun, the Nano version has a smaller screen. Even though the Nano version offers a video option, it certainly does not have enough memory for more than a few videos. I am not however sure if it makes all that sense to watch videos on a 2.5 inch screen!

Storage and battery life -- The storage space and the battery life of the iPod Classic model is its true selling point. With storage options of 80GB and 160GB the iPod Classic makes storing music, videos, photos, movies and games so much more convenient. The battery life is another plus in the Classic model; Apple’s Web site claims it can play 40 hours of non-stop audio playback and 7 hours of video playback with the 160GB iPod classic and 30 hours of audio and 5 hours of video on the 80GB iPod Classic.

Size -- The Nano version is low on storage and battery life no doubt, but is much lighter than the Classic version. The Nano is smaller (as the name suggests!), very convenient on the move, and can hold up to 2000 songs for 8GB and 1000 for the 4GB (which I guess may be enough for me).

Price – While the Classic 80 GB model is available for Rs 14,500, the Nano 4 GB Video is available for Rs 8,800.

Net net, here is my decision matrix: If you are someone with a huge i-Tunes library and value watching videos on the move (for some reason!), buy iPod Classic; while if you value usage convenience (lighter weight) and are primarily buying for music (and not videos) then go in for the Nano version.

For me, Nano it will be... for it is easier on the pocket and in the pocket (pun intended)!

2 comments:

Maverick said...

Sunil, a good and practical choice if you are looking for the best 'music machine' only, as your post suggests. Here are some of the uses of iPod video, we found as we went along: Use it as a disk to carry files, carry our photo albums to show it relatives and friends chasing us for trip memories, video podcasts from Discovery and NatGeo etc to keep us entertained on flights and of course the best sounds from music files. (Music was made for iPod, if you ask me). Apparently, one can read some types of ebooks on it, but I have not tried it, yet.

Rahul said...

And not to forget, iPod Classic has a hard disk. Though these are quite sturdy but one has to be careful. Once dropped, and you run the risk of losing your data.