Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Price My Town Pays...

I am one of the fortunate few in my company to have a huge window next to my workstation. In my work breaks during the day, I often gaze out through my window-to-the-world. I notice when a new floor gets added to the bare shell monolithic residential complex being constructed next to our office building. I see huge robotic arms of a crane picking and placing concrete blocks on a commercial complex structure being built across the road, traffic snarls on the road in between, huge dust clouds hanging over the construction compound nearby, and a zillion shacks of workers in the background.

The more I look out however, the more I miss the days when I could see lush green fields, vast stretches of barren land, and cattle grazing on hillocks near by (about 12 months back!). But I guess that is the price this satellite town – the back-office of the world – has to pay to be a part of the India shining (and 9% growth rate) story.

No comments: