Monday, November 12, 2007

Some Weekend This Was!

The last four days were crazy. There were two festivals; I drove 108 kms (in Delhi traffic; majority of it logged on the Diwali day, distributing sweets); had 3 family get-togethers; had five great (heavy and oily) meals; and visited 4 doctors (nothing serious; accompanied my dad, mom and wife for check-ups and consultations).

The highlight of the week-end though was the India-Pakistan match. Loved Yuvraj’s innings, and admired Indian team’s newfound aggression on the field. Some fitting fireworks post Diwali!

The other great news I thought was Kumble’s nomination as the test captain of Indian cricket team. I take pride in the fact that he was 2 years my senior at the engineering college. I still remember him riding a run-down TVS bike (and no girls as pillion riders – only a cricket kit!!) to the college, despite having achieved a lot of fame early on. Through his career (like his early cricketing years when he was still in the 3rd year at the college) Kumble remained a hard working cricketer who made more news in the field than off it (unlike some other great cricketers in the team). Over the years, though not being treated with due respect (by BCCI – a bunch of jokers) and almost always remaining in the shadows of the big-three of Indian cricket, Kumble stuck to his philosophy of hard work and letting his performance talk. Though he is not likely to lead the India team for long (as he is 37 years old), I think this is a fitting tribute to this great legend.

I am totally tired after four days of hard work (oops I mean weekend).

No comments: